Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Substance Designer - Game Textures



I have gone into hibernation. You won't hear or see much from me for some months.
And I don't like not creating new textures but technology is moving at lighting speed and I have to keep up with the times, so I bought both Substance Designer (Video Above) and also B2M (Video below)



Yes, it's cost me a fortune for the commercial license for both software applications and based on the limited learning resources for them, I estimate it will cost me at least three months in time just to learn how to navigate it.

I am currently following a 72 hour training course (Which I also purchased)
I am guessing that will teach me which peddle does what and how to parallel park but like driving a car, it's the "hands on" experience of using the machine day in and day out that really teaches you.

It's complex. Node based. 
Totally alien to me as a 2D Photoshop artist but it's also allowing me a leg into the 3D arena which is an area that I find too mathematical and techy to enjoy learning. 
I find 3DMax cripples any creative enjoyment. Playing with vertices and welding seams in UV maps is enough to induce a coma, personally.
A massive involuntary yawn reflex.

Substance Designer is a hybrid of traditional 2D graphic software like Photoshop or Illustrator and a procedural texture generator in the sense that you can combine SVG and BPM file formats with the procedural engine that will create Normal, Specular, Displacement, Bump and all kinds of 3D maps in real time "as" you go about create the Diffuse map. They all update in real time.

So far, I am really enjoying the training course but I am the kind of person that cannot multi task.
I pick a path and I stay on it until I reach the final destination.
If I stray off that original path for too long I can never find my way back for some reason.

I guess I am an "All or Nothing" person and I am so excited about the visual potential of both of these applications I am already frustrated by what I can not do...takes me back to the early days of grasping Photoshop. (ugh!)

And so,  I am in hiding in the hopes that when I come back, I will be better equipped with new skills and abilities that will allow me access to a higher quality,  niche market.

Plus, it's a unique skill and piece of software to put on my CV too. 

Wish me luck! (I am too old to learn fast! lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment