Thursday, 24 November 2011

Working As Texture Artist for Forsaken Studios Much Anticipated Game Embers Of Caerus

Concept Art - Embers Of Caerus 




As I detailed in my last post, I was contacted by an Art Director from a game studio enquiring whether I might be interested in joining them as a texture artist in the development of their current game project.

After doing a little research, chatting with the team and watching the test scene above, I decided it was too good an opportunity to dismiss.

Since that time and having begun working alongside the other 53 members of Forsaken Studio on their much anticipated MMORPG Embers Of Caerus (Or EoC as it is commonly referred to) and I can say hand on heart,  I am as passionate about the development of EoC as if it was "my own”

In fact, I feel at least in part, it “is” my own since I discovered and took the opportunity to invest into the game on a small financial level.

The members of Forsaken Studio all seem to display the same level of enthusiasm, professionalism and commitment whilst maintaining a family type working environment. I am really enjoying being “part of a team” something I have not really felt with my own business for many years now.  (I could quote “It’s lonely at the top” but in my case “the top” can be measured in inches rather than feet lol)



The concept of the game will be totally unique and yet comfortably familiar to most regular MMORPG gamers.

The best way I can describe it is that it has all of the best parts of the most popular MMORPG’s all rolled into one massive highly customisable sandbox.

Concept Art Embers Of Caerus
I will focus initially on what I am more knowledgable about and that is of course, the graphics and textures.

Whilst there is no comparison between EoC to World Of Warcraft as a game,  WOW serves as an obvious comparison partly because I have at least played it.

WOW for me at least,  lacks the ability to demonstrate any creative identity.
The builds are preset and non editable, what you see is quite literally what you get, period.

Much of the same can be said for the avatars in WOW which again, like the environment, they lean towards a cartoon style.
Cute, but not realistic and I think most of todays seasoned gamers prefer realism on all levels of their game play from avatar to environment.

After working with Lee for a short while, I have learnt the focus of "Embers Of Caerus” environmental development is most definitely realism,  visually, audibly and in terms of the game play itself.

Photorealistic textures are essential in the development of this game which suits me and my experience of  photo manipulation and the creation of such textures.

As much as I would like to discuss the game play elements of "Embers Of Caerus", for obvious reasons there are things I cannot disclose at this time.
Plus, I feel Rob Steele, the CEO of Forsaken Studios does a much better job at describing the goals and direction the studio aim to achieve.

Here, Rob describes “The Vision” of Embers Of Caerus:

http://www.embersofcaerus.com/forum/showthread.php/40-The-Vision


Concept Art Embers Of Caerus. 
On a personal level, I feel like I have been very fortunate to have been found and involved.

I have a new project that I have been invited to be involved in which is very exciting to me.

The next six months I plan to learn more about game creation on all levels and not just graphically and I hope this is a new chapter in my career and one in which I will be immensely proud to have been a part of in the months that follow.

5 comments:

  1. WTG! I knew this would be good for you. I can't wait to hear more about what you are doing and to see what you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Boo, your first comment on my blog!! (What took so long??)

    Thanks :) Yea it doesn't mean I am pulling away from SL or TRU of course but between you and Thorian and the systems implemented within the website and store, there is no real "work" for me to do anymore... I will of course be making textures and a lot may have been inspired by projects I am asked to work on for the Studio (Watch out for a Celtic Texture Collection!)

    II just needed a challenge -- something that pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me feel excited about the future instead of worried due to both economies!

    Thanks again Beth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm glad to have you on the team Liz. This blog post only confirms to me that you're with us for the right reasons, as you truly sound like you've fallen in love with the idea and the dream.
    When the day comes to celebrate release, I've no doubt that you will be there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rob. Try stop me! ...no really... I dare you..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah great to have you on board Liz

    ReplyDelete