Monday, 15 August 2011

Thank You.

Me & Harvey on a windy beach! 
I am not sure how many people will see this or indeed whether those that do, give a fig,  but I am going to make it public anyway.

It’s a letter, a thank you letter to be more precise, not to my parents or to my partner.

No, it’s a sincere heartfelt letter to people I will never meet or talk to in person much less know their real names or the in’s and out’s of their real lives.

I want to thank every single person who has ever purchased my textures or any digital content made by  other authors on the internet or in places like Second Life.

In these crappy economic times, I realise that human nature will often make us lean towards cheaper or "free" methods of obtaining stuff we want and that goes ten fold within the digital goods industry when content is not tangible,  it doesn’t feel real,  if we can’t hold it in our hands it seems to hold a lesser value  I guess its natural to lessen its worth or value “because” we can't touch it.

But to me and indeed many very real people, digital content is very real.

We make it and we hope others buy it so we can put food in the cupboards and pay the rent.

And thanks to people like “you” we are motivated to continue to create more and better content in hopes that that too will be purchased by people with ethical moral fibre.

For make no bones about it, when it comes to Second Life or any type of digital content available on the internet, it’s down to honest, ethical and educated people that understand the value of its worth and in turn, this allows creators to continue to create.

For if everyone was stealing and sharing digital goods illegally, the whole digital content community would eventually grind to a halt.

I watched with some interest the recent news footage of youths in the UK running around on a “free for all” bender looting shops and setting cars on fire, stealing from one another and bragging about it on social network sites like Twitter.

Justifying their behaviour with immature excuses about how the current economy had forced them to stoop so low.

So, if people feel it’s  “OK” stealing tangible goods and indeed smashing windows to do so, how easy must it be to just hit a keyboard button to “share” or “download” illegal (stolen) digital content that requires no identification or physical force?

I also accept that a lot of the time (if not most of it) it’s done in ignorance and again this falls back to the whole “Physical verses Digital” perception.

Copyright and IP is not taught in schools and generally, unless your on the other side of the fence, we have no reason to learn or even care about it.

I have been on both sides of that fence in my life and acted and thought from both views,  so I do understand how easy it is to make incorrect assumptions to suit our desire to “own"
It’s a massive educational issue.

So my thanks goes to that small minority that for what ever reason do understand IP and copyright and care about being honest and upfront about other peoples digital work.

And I know my counterparts feel as thankful as I do.

It’s often only the bad or negative things we read about whilst the good goes unrecognised, so I am recognising it here and now. Thank you.

*Stands down of soap box*










No comments:

Post a Comment