|Notice the disorganised layers?|
They looked artificial and too bright so I started playing with the texture map today and ended up totally reworking it adding new petal textures, highlights and shading to the leafs, petals and stems.
The second example below is rendered using my own custom maps and the first sample is the default map that comes with the prop. It had faint black lines on the edge of the petals that no amount of light tweaking would remove so I created my own maps.
I am not saying the artist who made the props is rubbish!
I can only imagine at this stage how hard it is to make plant models in Xfrog but it does pay to enhance what you are working with sometimes.
I am sure many people have taken my textures and made something much better for their purpose and that’s great, that’s what theyr’re there for. So essentially, that’s what I have done too.
Here are the before and afters:
|CLICK TO VIEW|
|CLICK TO VIEW|
I think when I start to feel limited in how far I can work with pre made models, I will try Xfrog 30 day trial.
I am really enjoying the challenge of working in 3D if only on a very basic level.
I am learning how texture maps work as I edit and load them direct onto the prop and see how each change in Photoshop effects the final outcome in 3D.
Of course, in 3D apps, the lights play a crucial role and as I mentioned in my last post, I am finding it hard to obtain natural day light sets for plants.
Most of the default lights were created for studio scenes and human/animal models and as a result the shadows are too harsh.
It’s ironic really, because I have been clinging to Photoshop and 2D my comfort zone, for way too long so when I am forced to replace stock made by an ex merchant, I find that the experience gained in Photoshop can also be applied to 3D art too. Plus I am enjoying it a whole lot more than I was dreading it.