Friday, 7 January 2011

Second Life Politics - The forbidden Topic

I am going to break my own rule today and write about my feelings on "SL politics" the forbidden topic.

I say forbidden as anyone that touches on the subject SL politics ends up starting an online pubic flaming war were those few people who don't agree that the sky is falling or that Linden Labs are all distant blood relatives of Vlad The Impaler  must either be Linden Lab staff in disguise or brown noses.

Countless forum threads discussing Linden Labs, the Second Life economy, land fees or lets not forget the favourite "How long before Second Life closes?" (groan) have been a firm favourite in even the official Second Life forums which I have a glance at now and again when I need to go and do some admin at the SL Marketplace
Very occasionally I may respond to a thread never to return to see possible replies.

I don't venture to 3rd party forums, I don't have the time or interest in watching people flame, bitch, BS and climb the virtual social ladder of forum leadership to somehow compensate for their lack of real social lives and/or skills.

I said that out aloud didn't I? Well, its more or less true with the odd exception. I am not saying everyone and anyone who partakes in forum debates are losers but there are those who literally live to blog.

The need for life's purpose from some of these forum "die hards" is as obvious as it is tragic with as many as 10,000 posts on one of several different forums they are members of.

I digress, but needless to say, I don't have much time or respect for forums in general they tend to attract people with too much time on their hands, fragile egos and an axe to grind and that's always a dangerous combination.

I am sick to death of seeing people write:

"Second Life is doomed for failure because of how Linden Labs run it"

That may well be true, I don't know and no one does really but what is the point in writing it over and over and over again?

It's almost as if people want SL to fail.
In fact I suspect that is actually the case for many of them.

I wonder if a lot of the people who insist on repeatedly sharing their opinion on how and why they think SL will fail is because their own business (which runs on the SL platform) has perhaps failed and they  fall into the "blame game" and If SL did close this would somehow justify and explain why their own business either never took off or had "failed"too.

Another thing that gripes me is who ever is the CEO someone is not happy.
It doesn't matter who is named CEO, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, who ever was CEO they will pick and poke and find something about their past employment history that signifies failure for SL.

Recently, Linden Labs announced the arrival of a new CEO, Rod Humble who used to be vice president  of EA Games and predictably some people started leaving comments about how "SL is not a game!!" and  "Don't you make SL into another The Sims Online!"

The guy hasn't even warmed the office chair with his ass and people have written him off.

People just HAVE to moan and I am not saying that Linden Labs are akin to God or have made brilliant decisions over the years in fact not only do I have my own major issues with LL but I have made my own monumental errors within my own business.
But I recognise that publishing my venom on the internet does neither me or them any favours and more to the point it won't change anything, it won't "fix" the things I don't like or agree with.

I have to put my faith in them as people who are trying to run a profitable business, if they succeed I have a chance of also succeeding. The end.

It seems it is human nature to moan about the negatives and totally take for granted the positives.

A good example of this behaviour is the value of the Linden Dollar.
Right now the worth of the Second Lifes currency is the highest it's ever been with sellers getting more real dollar for their Linden Dollar than ever before.

I havent seen any posts about how great this is or how this may signify good things for SL, there may well be some, but I haven't seen any.
If we go back 8 months or so when the Linden Dollar dropped in worth to the lowest it had ever been, there were 100s of forum threads and posts about how this alone showed SL was failing.

People were livid screaming about how unfair and difficult LL made business owners (they meant themselves) chances of success a joke.

My own business has felt a sharp decline in sales since 2008 and it's a daily battle to keep our heads above the water but I recognise the real reason for this and it has very little to do with Linden Labs
It is largely down to the global and very well documented fact we're in the middle of an historical economic crisis.

If my own business was to fail I wouldn't blame LL,  I would blame me and the economy.

It's a very vicious time to be in business right now regardless of whether that business is on the internet or on the high street. I doubt many companies have not felt the recession take a bite out of their profits and you find you have to work 4 times as hard just to keep ticking over, that's a given.
It's not because search doesn't work and neither is it because the CEO of SL is crap at his job,  its because consumer confidence is very low and were once spending a dollar was considered a throw away purchase its now seen as a loaf of bread or more fuel in the car.

I am by nature very cynical and certainly more of a realist than I am an idealist so this isn't me in denial
wearing rose coloured glasses,  I just think you have to work with what you are given or give up.

One hour spent complaining in a forum (or even your own blog like I am now) is one hour you could or should be working on your skills, marketing and generally keeping your business running.

2 comments:

  1. THIS BLOG SUCKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I know....but thanks for stopping by! :D

    ReplyDelete