Thursday, 22 July 2010

OOOOOHHHH!! OMG! It feels like Christmas!


The postman has just delivered me my Autodesk 3D Max software which is included as part of my course from Train2Game.com.

What I didn't know was not only do I get a free copy of 3DMax 2010 but also:
Maya 2010
Softimage 2010,
MotionBuilder 2010
Mudbox 2010  ( Much like Zbrush I think)
Sketchbook 2010!

That little bundle would cost me thousands of dollars if I was to buy them all.

As exciting as it is, it's also a little daunting.
I mean, I think it would take me a life time to learn all of them to a competent level.
I am still kind of clinging to Photoshop as that's my comfort zone.

The last time I played with 3DMax I was about to start the lesson on the Material Editor which being a 2D texture artist is more interesting than the model making side of things, at least for now.

The Material Editor is what allows you to make and apply textures in 3DMax, I am not 100% sure how it works but I have seen some very nice Marble textures made totally within 3DMax.

Then you have MentalRay which basically applies lighting effects to your scene to simulate real life natural lighting conditions.

It's a  little vague yet lol but I am sure once I get back into it I will get "the bug"

My only complaint is all of the above software is for Windows OS and I run on Mac. I am not sure if there are MAC versions but technically MAC is the preferred system for all graphic related industries.

The box doesn't indicate whether its for MAC or Windows but if I was to buy the software I would want MAC.

As it stands, I have to run a "virtual PC" on my iMac which means the computer is divided into two parts one for Mac and one for Windows and that OK but it means each OS takes 50% of my computers memory so things can get a buggy and laggy when I am running a piece of heavy software like 3DMax on windows.

2 comments:

  1. "I am not sure if there are MAC versions but technically MAC is the preferred system for all graphic related industries."

    Pfft.

    And you have cheek to call me a troll. Hang your head in shame young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O Did I? lol

    Can I troll my own blog?

    ReplyDelete